Sunday, June 13, 2004

Exciting Sunday!

Today (Sunday) God just got me really excited about something. I went to visit a different church this morning... the one I went to with the LSU team. Well, I didn't enjoy the service very much. They spoke a lot of Afrikaans and I didn't enjoy their music when they WERE singing in English! (You know music is a big thing for me!) It wasn't really terrible, but I was thinking when I left, "I probably won't be visiting here very much." Well, after church I was standing around talking to a few of the people that I met a couple weeks ago and I met a new girl. She was very blunt, and said I should give her my number because she's been praying for a friend and someone to do things with. She also is not working right now. She's been volunteering at an orphanage in Soweto, but is taking a break for a little while. I mentioned what I do, and she wants to come with me! She was so excited that she wants to come with me tomorrow already. This is a great thing for multiple reasons... 1)she's turning 22 soon, so she's close to my age, and maybe she'll be the friend I've been praying for (and maybe I'LL be the friend SHE'S been praying for!) 2)it's always good to involve people from here in the ministry, that way when I go home there's more of a chance that it will continue. Isn't this cool? Her name is Chantal. I'll let you know how it goes with her tomorrow! I think it will be nice too, to have her with me in the girls' clubs. It'll be nice to have someone from the same culture as the girls. Even when I wasn't thrilled about my choice of churches this morning, God knew exactly what He was doing!

Tomorrow (5 months in SA!) Chantal and I will be going to Lilydale to meet with the first group of girls for club. It will be fairly informal... very "get to know you." We're gonna have some fun for once! I want them to know that this is NOT classtime, and they can be real with me. I plan on sharing my testimony with them too. I think it's important for them to know where I came from. On their applications, all of them said they were Christians. Most of their answers to the question, "tell me the story of how you became a Christian" includes something about their mothers or grandmothers taking them to church, or going to church all the time. I hate to tell them (well, I look forward to it, actually) but when I was their age, my family took me to church whenever possible, and I enjoyed going, but I wasn't saved yet. I hope they can see from my testimony, that going to church doesn't make you a Christian! Please pray that the story of my own life will get through to them... even if it doesn't happen right away! Also, please pray that I will have discernment to know which of the girls really are Christians, and which are not. Pray that they have fun and want to come back next week! Also, pray for Chantal - that God will use her in great ways as she works with me this coming week!!

Ok, that's it for now. Oh! The gym was back open today, so I went and did my usual... the circuit weights and the treadmill. Today I walk/jogged 6.2 kilometers! Which is almost 4 miles! Woohoo! I can do it! Pray that I can keep this up!


Link to pictures:
http://community.webshots.com/user/bonnieb81

No comments: