Sunday, July 31, 2005

New Orleans Jazz, Black Eagles and Christmas in July!

No... those three things do not have any huge connection, except that they all have to do with the amazing day I had today.

After church I met a few friends (mostly old and one new!) at the botanical gardens for their periodic "picnic concert." Today's was New Orleans Jazz!! Man those guys were so amazing, and it was so cool to just sit on a blanket with my friends and a lunch from Subway. I felt like I was really at home... whatever that means. :) Good friends... good music... good food... can one ask for more!? hehe

Once the concert ended, we took a walk around the park. I'd been down to the waterfall before, but I didn't know there was a place to hike up to the top of this place. Well, the guys wanted to go, and I didn't want to be left behind, so I trecked up to the top with them, and wow! What a great view. I almost forgot I was in a big city. To make our afternoon even better, just before we were about to walk back down, we saw one of the black eagles flying around and we were very excited. Then, to even more of a surprise, another one started flying around! So we got to see 2 of the black eagles today. Quite a sight. :)

At one point during the afternoon my friend, Craig, started singing "Chestnuts roasting on an open fire..." I really have no idea why he did, but no one understands half of the things Craig does, so I don't ask questions anymore. :) Well, I have that song (the Nat King Cole version) on mhy i-pod, so I listened to it in my car on the way home. Well, then I remembered an earlier conversation that I'd had with someone about how it was ok to listen to Christmas music because of "Christmas in July." So when I got home I dug out my favourite Christmas album (Switched on Santa... a very old album that my parents actually copied from an LP to a tape for me!!). I listened to it tonight and had a wonderful time pretending that it was Christmas time. :) It did make me excited about being home for the holidays this year!

Well, folks... this girl is sleepy. It's been a long and tiring day, but wow... such an awesome one. Thanks for checking in on me!!

in Him,
Bonnie
Link to pictures:
http://community.webshots.com/user/bonnieb81

No comments: