Saturday, July 16, 2005

I’ve been reading a lot lately, and I just wanted to share a really great few lines from a book that I have been reading, “Searching for God Knows What,” by Donald Miller…

“…life is complex, and the idea that you can break it down or fix it in a few steps is rather silly. The truth is there are a million steps, and we don’t even know what the steps are, and worse, at any given moment we may or may not be willing or even able to take them; and still worse, they are different for you and me and they are always changing. I have come to believe the sooner we find this truth beautiful, the sooner we will fall in love with the God who keeps shaking things up, keeps changing the path, keeps rocking the boat to test our faith in Him, teaching us to not rely on easy answers, bullet points, magic mantras, or genies in lamps, but rather in His guidance, His existence, His mercy, and His love.”

I am definitely in that place of God shaking things up, changing the path, and rocking the boat. I also realize that this is the way I see it, but I bet to God He doesn’t see it as shaking, changing, or rocking anything. I may feel like He’s rocking the boat, but to Him, this is just the way Bonnie’s life is supposed to pan out. He had it planned out all along, and who am I to question His plan? I don’t know yet what the next steps are for me, but I do pray that I will be willing, and by God’s grace, able to take them. I really don’t enjoy being confused, but one thing I have certainly learned in my 18 months here is that it always seems that the times I am most confused, I learn to lean on and trust my Father more and more, and that’s worth the confusion. I suppose if I knew everything, I wouldn’t have to ask Him and seek His desires, and that would be a most terrible place to be in. I don’t know what the next 6 months hold for me. I know that I go home in 4 months. I know that somewhere in the first week of November, I will board a plane in Jo’burg and (hopefully!) land in Raleigh Durham, NC the next day. I know I’ll see my family and I can’t wait for that!!! I know I’ll go visit my home churches and give lots of missions presentations (quite possibly even in churches I’ve never been to before!). But I don’t know what else will happen… I can’t see that far, and I don’t know what the steps will be. But I do trust my Dad. He knows it all, and He knows what’s best for me. Man, I love that! I love that I can trust Him and not have to worry and fret about my life. He’s pretty awesome, isn’t He? :)


Link to pictures:
http://community.webshots.com/user/bonnieb81

2 comments:

SMITTY said...

that book is revolutionary isn't it? Personally, my favorite chapter was the one on morality. I think that all southern baptist in american should take 10 minutes and read that chapter alone.

Thanks for the props regarding Homestar. All my boys are strongbad fans, but homestar makes me laugh like no other.

God bless in South Africa

Steve McCoy said...

Bonnie, Don Miller's writing is great. Glad to hear you are reading him.