Monday, July 04, 2005


Happy 4th of July!!

Now that that's out of the way... I'm moving on, since I don't get to celebrate that here! ;) ... You know, I think I've come a long way since I've been here. One of the ladies on the team knows a family who is from the States and is working here in Jo'burg as missionaries. There is a daughter my age, and the lady was just SO excited to get us to meet each other. Well, I met her today at the mall. She's a nice girl, and really I didn't get much chance to talk to her one on one, but I realized that I don't get all excited about meeting other Americans who work here anymore. Now that I have some great South African friends, I don't feel so dependent on Americans anymore. And I think that's a good thing! Now... maybe the reason I didn't really click with this girl is because I know that she's here with her mom and dad, and therefore she will never understand all that I have been through (and continue to go through). If my Mom and Dad were here I'd stay for life! She has no clue what it's like to be alone every night in your home. She has no clue what it's like to hear about family vacations back home, or to be here by yourself when all your friends and co-workers go on vacation (or 'holiday') with their families. I'm not bitter... just a little sad. (Mom, don't worry!! :)) I do miss family and family outings and get-togethers. There's just something amazing to be said about being part of a group that knows everything (or almost everything) about you and loves you to the core anyway. Now, don't get me wrong, I absolutely LOVE being here. A friend of mine recently commented that there are always sacrifices to be made with every decision we make. And that's never fun, but it's almost always worth it in some way. :) So... everyone enjoy your red, white and blue decorations, have fun with the sparklers (please don't burn your fingers... that was always my fear as a kid!) and savour every one of the amazing and beautiful fireworks tonight... enjoy them for me please!! :)

Love you all!!
Bonnie

Link to pictures:
http://community.webshots.com/user/bonnieb81

No comments: