Wednesday, November 19, 2003

Wow... I am so full of knowledge, I don't know what to do with myself. Too bad I can't remember half of what I've been filled with!! I tell ya, there's so much incredible information that we get, but it is so much that there's no possible way for me to remember it all. This week we have been learning about spiritual warfare from Jerry Rankin (the IMB president!). Like I said, I've been bombarded with tons of stuff, but I'll share one of the things that has really stuck with me........

Satan loves nothing more than to make me believe that I have certain rights. "I deserve a nice house, I deserve a car and nice clothes, and 3 square meals a day. I deserve good health care, perfect eye sight and straight teeth." Someone show me in the Bible where Jesus says we deserve such things. On the contrary, Jesus calls us to leave these pleasures behind and follow Him. Jesus even says that, "Foxes have holes and birds of the air have nests, but the Son of Man has no place to lay his head." (Matt 8:20 or Luke 9:58) In Matthew 16:24, He says, "If anyone would come after me, he must deny himself and take up his cross and follow me." Somehow, "my rights" and "denying myself" don't seem to jive together very well. I have no rights except the freedom that Christ has given me in Himself. This thought has been very humbling to me, and I hope that you will take a few moments to really (yes, really) think about it. What do you have, or hold onto, that you think you "deserve"? Check it with scripture... does God say you deserve it? How many Christians are in this world who have nothing, but still praise the Lord? MANY! Consider yourself blessed to be in such a rich country, but please, don't allow yourself to be deceived into thinking that you (and I mean ME too!!) have earned or deserve any of it.

Now, off of my soap box... :) I got to talk to my Melissa today!! That makes me happy. I just happen to be in the computer lab, on instant messenger when she got on. Oh, if you don't know, Melissa is the journeygirl already in Johannesburg. I am going to be living with her for a year. Anyway, she told me something today that made me SOOOOO happy! The other day, one of her students, Thandekile, asked, "when is my good friend Bonnie coming back?" I met Thankdekile this past summer when I was in Johannesburg and I really clicked with her, but I didn't think she would remember me! She will be moving up to high school next year, so she won't be in my school, but Melissa told her that when I get there, we will try to get in touch with her, and maybe do a Bible study! Please be praying that God will open that door. How perfect of a beginning would that be? I mean really, I get there, and there's a new Bible study just waiting for me. I'll be praying about it, please do the same. The township she lives in is Dhlamini.

I'm still having tons of fun here at training. The other journeymen here rock, and I love ALL of them!! God has orchestrated so many wonderful relationships already. My roommates are so special to me, and I am very happy that they are in the same region as me, so that means we will get to see each other at least once a year (if not more!). I got to babysit twice this week. Two little precious babies! Well, toddlers really. One child here, Nathan, has gripped my heart strings. He is my house church leaders' son (Dr. Eitel's grandson!) and I LOVE him so much. He is the sweetest baby (he's 13 months old) and he gives the best hugs a child can give. Hopefully I'll get some pictures of him online soon so you can see him. They are going to Kenya, so some of the Summit people going on that mission trip in January will get to see my baby! :) I'm a tad jealous!

Well, Heather, my roommate and I are off to Wal-Mart soon. Yay for chances to get off campus! Love you all!!



Link to pictures:
http://community.webshots.com/user/bonnieb81

No comments: