Saturday, November 15, 2003

Guess it's been a little while since I've updated this weblog. Sorry about that! So... what have I been up to? Well, yesterday (Friday) was the first of 3 immunization clinics and I got 2 shots (polio and hep A). I'll get a total of 6 before I leave. They don't feel wonderful, but at least I won't get polio, right!? :) This past week at MLC (missionary learning center) we learned all about CPMs (Church Planting Movements - they are ALL about some abbreviations here). That was cool, and even though it's not the exact model I'll be using in South Africa, I have learned a lot.

Last Sunday we started meeting in out HCPs (House Church Practicums). MANY people here are going to places where they literally can't meet in a "church" building because of government, finances, or a number of reasons. So, we have house churches here. It's very cool. We are a group of 4 journeymen and 3 families (with a total of 5 kids ranging from age 11 months to 13 years). We meet Tuesday-Friday every morning and then for a longer time on Sunday, and our times together are great. This is a group that I can be real and open with. I'm going to miss them all when we leave! Hey, Summit people... this is cool... my HCP leaders are Dr. Eitel's son-in-law and daughter, and they know some of you guys! How cool is that? It has been so wonderful to have someone to talk to about home who knows what home is like!

Last night I got to go have dinner with my regional director's family, the other missionaries going to that region, and some other South Africa missionaries who were here at MLC for a stateside conference. It was so nice to talk to experienced missionaries and get their advice!

These past couple weeks have been an emotional and spiritual up and down over and over again. One day I feel great, the next I wonder how God could call someone like ME into His service. But then I realize that God knows what He's doing, and HE alone has called me and put me here at MLC to learn and then in SA to be His servant (well, to be His servant EVERY day). Sometimes I see these other Journeymen or other missionaries in general, and think, "man, they know so much more than I do. How can I be a good missionary like THEM?" But God so gently reminds me that all I need to know is Him. "When I came to you, I did not come with excellence of speech or of wisdom declaring to you the testimony of God. For I determined not to know anything among you except Jesus and Him crucified." 1 Cor. 2:1-2 If Paul determined not to know anything, then I don't have to know everything either. Praise the Lord! Christ is enough for me. And I need to stop comparing myself to other people... God made me the way He wants me to be! :) So, that's what's been going on in my mind lately.

Let me know what you're up to too! :)

Link to pictures:
http://community.webshots.com/user/bonnieb81

No comments: