Monday, May 16, 2005

Wow… I feel like I have so much to update about! I really should get better about updating this page more often. So let me think… where do I start? Last week started out fairly normal… then Wednesday afternoon I got invited to go to the Blues Room to hear a friend’s band, Grounded, play. We got on the guest list, so we didn’t have to pay to get in, which is always cool. :) That’s my second time going to the Blues Room, and once again, it was packed full of people… I’m starting to get better at handling big crowds, but it’s still not the easiest thing in the world for me! I much prefer small groups where I can actually hear the person next to me speaking to me. :) But all was good. Thursday, quite randomly, I got to go BACK to the Blues Room. The Finkelstiens were playing, ad a friend of mine kinda knows them so I got to go for free again. Hooray! Now, let me give you some background here. Last year when I first heard a Finks song on the radio, I really liked them. They’re a local punk band… Anyway, they’re the first South African band I liked. They’ve been in Joburg before and I’ve always wanted to go to a show, but I’ve always been busy. So I was pretty psyched to be going to hear them finally! So Thursday night on the way there I was trying to psych myself up and get ready to deal with big crowds of people again. Well… to my surprise (and delight!) there are a lot less people there on Thursday nights!! So my friends and I sat at a table right down front. Sitting at a table with people I know was much more enjoyable for me than standing around pretending to be comfortable with the fact that people I don’t know are squished beside me! The whole time I was trying to act cool, all the while trying NOT to let people know that I was really feeling like a 13 year old at some boy-band concert. I sat there acting all chill… when my insides were screamin’ like a school girl. heehee I was so excited to finally get to see them up close and personal. I even got to meet them afterwards and chatted with one of the guys while he put his guitar stuff away. A 13 (or *cough cough* 23) year old’s dream come true. haha All in all, it was an awesome night!

Friday night I went with some friends from Northcliff Union Church to an Uzbekistan dinner/fund raiser for the mission trip Craig is going on in June. That was quite fun! It was awesome to be introduced to another culture and experience it as best as we can from this far away!

Saturday was also an awesome day… after going to Durban Deep and playing with the kids, Nurse came home with me to spend the night! She insisted on cooking for me, so we went to the grocery store and got the necessary ingredients. Everything she made was vegetable stuff… we had rice with a tomato-green pepper-onion gravy/sauce, mashed potatoes/green beans, sweet carrots, potato salad, butternut squash and cabbage. It was all really good, but everything she cooked was soaking in oil… if I could learn to make the dishes without all the oil, I’d try to make them myself… maybe I’ll have to try that sometime. :) She wouldn’t even let me help cook – she wanted to do everything herself. We also watched The Lord of the Rings. She’d never seen any of them and wanted to see it, so I watched it for the 4th or 5th time! It was really fun to hang out with her outside of just teaching.

Sunday was ANOTHER great day! After Sunday school at Rand Leases, we finally went to Braamfisherville to do Sunday school for the first time! 24 kids came!! Praise the Lord! I was so excited that the kids came. Being that this was the first week, I was prepared for a small number of kids, but God surpassed my expectations. Man, isn’t He amazing? I just love Him. :) After that exciting (but somewhat tiring!) morning, I went to Joshuwa’s 3 year old birthday party and a local mini-train place. It was nice to hang out with the whole team for a while and celebrate with Joshy! I gave him a Little Bill (a black cartoon in the States) doll from America and he just went crazy. I did good. haha Today when I was at the Holidays’ house, Josh woke up from his nap, and out he walked with Little Bill under his arm. I felt so proud. :)

TODAY! NEWSFLASH!!! There’s a SUBWAY at Westgate mall!!! WOOHOO!!! I was at the mall today with the Holiday family, and all of a sudden, there it was… the all too famous green Subway sign. We almost passed out. Of course, we just had to get Subway and take it home for dinner. No, it wasn’t exactly the same as in the States. Some flavours were different, but just the idea of eating a Subway sub – ahh… it was nice. :) We took them home and ate them while watching the first Star Wars… we have to catch up and review since the 3rd one is coming out this week!

Well, that’s about all I’ve got to say for now… See, I really should have written more about this stuff as it happened so that I wouldn’t have to write one long update, but oh well! Thanks for sticking with me, and for checking in on me!!

In Him,
Bonnie


Link to pictures:
http://community.webshots.
com/user/bonnieb81

No comments: