Sunday, April 10, 2005

I’m back in Jo’burg after an AMAZING trip to Durban. Durban is absolutely gorgeous. It’s so much more peaceful and relaxed than big-city Joburg. I don’t realize how stressful Joburg is until I get out of it for a while!! I stayed with the Hesches, an IMB family who work in Durban. Their 24 year old daughter is here visiting for a while (she was also my roommate at AMTM), so we were roomies again for a few days! She has lived in Durban before and knew about places to go and things to do. I arrived in Durban around 4:30 Thursday evening. I went to watch Roger (the Dad) play basketball, and then Sarah and I stayed and ran the table for the next game. I got to be the person who pushed stop and start on the timer - how exciting! Haha The next day Sarah and I went to a couple shopping places, Victoria Street Market and uShaka marine world. I didn’t buy all that much, but it was cool to see the differences. Victoria Street Market had a lot more Indian shops (as in people from India) than Joburg, as Durban is much more populated by Indians than Joburg is. Later that afternoon Roger, Sarah, Jared (Sarah’s brother), and I went to the Pavillion (a huge mall) and went bowling. I finally learned how to coordinate steps with releasing the ball! I still scored pretty low, but I was doing better than I used to. Why has no one ever shown me this before?? :) Friday night we went out to dinner with a missionary family who happened to be down from Zimbabwe, and they paid for dinner! (very nice!) Then Sarah, Jared, Jonathan (a journeyman who works in Durban) and I went to the beach for a little while just to hang out. It was a nice night to walk around the beach front! Saturday I went with Meg (the Mom) to watch a True Love Waits demonstration. Afterward Meg taught me how to do the presentation, and I’m going to start teaching True Love Waits in my schools!! I’m SO excited about this new opportunity! After that, we all went to the beach to basically hang out and do a lot of nothing. Man, that was NICE! I love doing nothing, especially in Durban. :) Later we went home and made pizza. After that Jonathan came over and we all played cards for a while. We were all being QUITE silly, and I have to admit that it’s been a while since I’ve really been silly. It’s so nice to hang out with people who actually understand you!! I didn’t want to come back to Joburg today. I mean, I like it here, but vacationing is so nice. I know it’s time to get back to work though. God didn’t put me here to vacation! My cat, Oreo, hasn’t left my side since I got home (she’s sleeping on my lap now). I think that between being gone for AMTM and then leaving again for Durban, she thinks I’ve abandoned her. But no more abandoning. I’m settling in Joburg for a while now. :) Well, it’s almost time for me to be going to team prayer. I’m so tired from driving today!! Thanks so much for checking in on me!
Love ya,
Bonnie

Link to pictures:
http://community.webshots.com/user/bonnieb81

No comments: