Sunday, March 04, 2007

that must be some church...

Fun story...

When I first interviewed for the tutoring job at Sylvan, I was talking to the boss and she made a few comments that lead me to believe she was a Christian. She said something like, "we serve an on-time God" a couple of times, and was wearing a bracelet that I think had the verse on it "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." (If not that verse, it was definitely a Bible verse.) When we finished talking, I asked her where she went to church and she said something like, "oh... I don't go to church... I may never go again." Hmm... I figured that the day she hired me probably wasn't the best day to go deep, but I just mentioned, "well, if you ever want to come the Summit, you're always welcome" and I left it at that. Since I started working there about a month ago, I've been fortunate to be able to hang out with a few of the other tutors who are around my age. As far as I can tell, none of them are Christians, so it's been interesting getting to know them a little outside of work. The cool thing is, they like me! God has somehow given me favor in their eyes, and I am praying for ways to reach out to them without freaking them out. Well... today I went to work and as I was putting some of the books away, I noticed a new tutor. I thought she looked familiar, but I couldn't see her whole face and I wasn't sure. My boss was in the room, so I went to her and said, "the new teacher... is her name Stacy?" And my boss said, "yeah... does she go to your church?" When I said yes, my boss and one of the other girls I work with said, "ahh..." Apparently during her interview, they'd asked her what brought her to Durham and she had replied that it was her church. They remembered me saying the same thing. Diane (the boss) said, "wow, that must be some church." To which I replied, "you'd better believe it - you'll have to check it out sometime." Both she and the other teacher (who is also an assistant to Diane) said something to the effect of "yeah I guess so!" Wow! How cool is God in the way He orchestrates things?! Please be praying for God's name to be made famous in the lives of the teachers (and the boss!) at Sylvan. I pray that God will use me in some way to help reach out to them and show them how much He loves each of them. God is so good!

Link to pictures:
http://community.webshots.com/user/bonnieb81

No comments: