Tuesday, June 13, 2006

kids - yay! bugs - boo!

Since I was going to Durham tonight for Bible study, I decided to load my car up with as much stuff as I possibly could and went to my house to unload it all. As I drove down Ruskin Ave. (where my house is the last one), I spotted the very typical group of kids on bikes. As soon as Erica (the girl across the street from me) spotted me, she started waving like mad. Wow, talk about making me smile!! The band of bike-riders followed my car until I stopped, and waited for me right outside my door until I got out. I seriously felt like I was back in SA driving into one of the areas where I worked. I met a few new faces tonight, one of whom wanted to come in my house and check out the place (I told her she should ask her parents first... don't want to be the weird neighbor or anything!). I also met the father of the boy from Ghana. (The boy's name is Kofe - sound like coffee with a long 'o') Then as I was chatting with him, the lady from the house across from him said hello and asked if I was their new neighbor. She didn't have much time to talk because she was on her way to her church. So many people were outside of their houses! I'm so excited about all the people I've already met in the neighborhood. But really, the kids just made my day. God has put me in such a great place! I can't wait until I can really get to know them. Hooray for kids!!

About the bugs... oh my goodness... Sunday before I left the house, I set off 4 bug bombs in strategic places. Wow. I literally don't think I've ever seen that many dead bugs (or live bugs either for that matter) in one place. I thank God for teaching me to deal with bugs in SA, because the mass of bugs I saw today would be enough to really freak out most girls! I'm glad they were dead!! Hopefully the bug bombs got them all. And hopefully those that made it out alive got the message and will carry it on to the others in the area. This house is no longer open to bugs!

Link to pictures:
http://community.webshots.com/user/bonnieb81

No comments: