Sunday, June 26, 2005

Yesterday was a fun day. In the morning we went to Braamfischerville to take part in an "Open Air" which is like an outdoor evangelical service. We had told people a couple days before that it was from 9:30-12:00. Well... we got there and then were told that we had to wait until the funeral that was going on next door was over. They said it would be over at about 10:30. I left at about 10:15 to take the ladies from the house we had the service at to the gorcery store. They decided they wanted to have a braai for us. We left the shops at about 11:00 and I was thinking that I would have already missed some of the service. Oh no... it hadn't started yet. We had to wait for the funeral to be over and for the people to leave. The big bus (to take them to the grave-side) rolled up at about 12:00, and once they left we finally started. Talk about working on African time!! I've been here 17 months now and I really think that this was my most "african" experience so far! I think the service officially started at about 12:30 and we finished around 3:00. We also had to sing in the service! It was so funny... on the fliers that we passed out on Thursday morning, the flier said, "music by Gospel USA singers and local singers." It didn't take us long to realized that "Gospel USA singers" was referring to us!! Yikes! So, Friday night we stayed up late and worked out some music to sing for them. On top of that, at the begining of the service Pastor Aaron asked us to come and do an "item," which means some kind of music. So Todd, Kelly and I sang a song.. but apparently we didn't sing
long enough, because we had to sing more! I think we ended up singing 3 songs before the actual service started! Crazy, I tell ya...Some of the girls and I had prepared a program for the kids too, so we took the little kids behind the house and had some good ole-fashion Sunday School fun. :) Apparently lots happened while we were gone! Nathan preached, some more of the team people gave their testimonies, the local guys sang again, and at some point during all that 4 ladies prayed to give their lives to Christ! Talk about exciting! All of them live near Tumi and Hilda (they live in the house where we had the open air), so it looks like we'll get some good discipleship going on there too, which in my opinion, is neccessary after something like that. Anyway... so, at 3:00 the finished and we had the braai. Thankfully, the ladies had been cooking the whole time, and everything was ready by the time we finished. So we had some mealie pap, chakalaka, rice, chicken, vors, and some other kind of meat that looked kind of scary to me! It was all good, but we were trying not to eat too much because we knew that we were going to Carnivor later that night. We weren't planning on going to Carnivor, but one of the guys on the team decided to pay the extra for everyone. (The team leader had enough money to go out to a regular restaurant, and this guy forked out the rest for everyone!!) So, that was nice. I enjoy going now more than I used to because I know what I like and what I can pass up, so I don't leave feeling like I just ate everything in sight! Well, after that, the girls staying with me and I went to Heather's birthday party! We were pretty late, but Heather was nice enough to let us come anyway. :) And oh my word! The house it was at is literally the biggest house I've ever been inside! It's her Aunt and Uncle's house and she's housesitting while they're away. They even had their own tennis courts! I don't think I need to say anymore! The girls were shocked to see a house that huge after working in townships and squatter camps all week. Anyway, it was really cool to hang out with some friends and chill out for a while. I think the girls enjoyed seeing a bit of my "real life" here and meeting white South Africans (we've only really worked with the black culture). All in all, yesterday was an amazing day. So many great things happened!

Today 2 of the girls (Joy and Melissa) went with me to Rand Leases and Braamfischerville for Sunday School. Joy wanted to steal the kids and take them home to clean them up. :) I assured her that it was a natural response, but that if I'd taken home every kid I wanted to, I'd have a house full!! The girls really enjoyed spending more time with the kids. The other group went to Jabavu Baptist Church in Jabulani, Soweto. I don't think they did all that much, except Nathan preached. I think Joy and Melissa got to experience and do more! Of course, I'm partial to my kids. ;)
Well, now we're all just hanging out that the Holiday's house before going to church later tonight at a white church... Wilro Park I think. I personally don't think that's a great note to end their trip on, but I don't make the plans! I'd better get going... I'm sure more people want to use the internet. Thanks for checking in on me!!
in Him,

Bonnie B


Link to pictures:
http://community.webshots.com/user/bonnieb81

No comments: