Thursday, March 24, 2005

Tonight I decided to attend Northcliff’s Tenebrae service. I’d never been to one of these services, so since I didn’t have anything else to do, I decided to go. I kind of knew what to expect, so I wasn’t surprised when I entered the sanctuary and the lights were all dimmed and everyone was fairly quiet. I am sad to say that there weren’t very many other young adults there. Not because I wanted to see them, but because I’ll bet most of them have no idea what they are missing out on. The service was different than anything I’d attended before, but it was quite moving. We sang a few old hymns which all reflected the common theme of the crucifixion. I must admit that it was nice to sing some of the old hymns. It gave me the feeling that some things never change, and for that I am grateful. Coming from one who at one time balked at ritual and tradition, I felt a sense of reverence as we all stood quietly, sang familiar hymns, and recited prayers of confession all in unison. Why has this all left the “modern church?” Must we completely abandon these acts of worship in a cheap attempt to draw a “new” crowd to Christ? (Somehow I don’t think He needs our new and exciting ideas in that matter.) Moving along… The service allowed a time for scripture reading, the Lord’s Supper, singing, a prayer of confession, and time for individual prayer and meditation. At the end of the service, one candle remained lit. One candle to represent the hope of the resurrection that was to come. We left in silence, one at a time, as we each concluded our own time of prayer. Little did I know that though I was walking out, my time of silence and meditation was not finished! As I drove home and got closer to my apartment complex, I noticed that the robots (stop lights) were out. It didn’t take me long to realise that a large space in the distance was completely black, and that space encompassed my apartment. I had all intentions of cleaning my apartment tonight as well as baking some cookies. (Some friends are arriving from the States tomorrow morning.) But with no electricity, it’s kind of difficult to get much done! So, I decided to take a chair outside on my patio. I took my Bible and a flashlight, but I never used them. I simply sat outside, wrapped in a blanket since it’s getting cold!, and sat in silence. Sometimes I prayed, but most of my time was simply spent listening. I listened as different animals made their common sounds around the neighbourhood. I listened as cars rushed around down below and was grateful that the power was off, forcing me to take some time to really stop. I stopped running around and took time to just be. I found it interesting to notice that though all the lights were out, the moon was full tonight, providing me with plenty of light to see everything I needed to see. God is so good and faithful. I am reminded tonight that I so often hurry around to get things done, and I so very rarely take time to be quiet in God’s presence. Tonight I planned to work and do things that were on my list. But God had other plans for me. And as I’ve so often been reminded before, His plans are always best.
Take time to rest in God’s presence this Easter, and always.
God bless,
Bonnie

And by the way, the power’s still not on. :)

Link to pictures:
http://community.webshots.com/user/bonnieb81

No comments: