Tuesday, April 01, 2008

Spring Break Day 1 : no plans...

I had all intentions of this being a "do-nothing," uneventful Spring Break. It seems God had other plans in mind. My day started off fairly normal... I had to get up early because the Time Warner Cable guy was coming to install our internet (finally!). A little after he left, a friend of mine who is a news reporter in Durham called to ask me if I new a girl named Skye in Oxford Manor. When I said I didn't, he told me that he was on his way to Oxford Manor because he was assigned to a story about this girl's murder. Whoa. I know this stuff happens "all the time" in Durham, but it happening in Oxford Manor made it hit home that this is real. I'll admit that at the time I didn't do all that I should have. I tried to reach Shonda, but her phone was off. I should have driven over there, but I didn't. I was too comfy at home enjoying my uneventful Spring Break. As I was getting into my car later to go to Sylvan, I checked my phone and noticed that I had a voicemail from Rick (another missionary to Oxford Manor). He said that he had talked to Shonda and that she knew Skye through some line of connections. And then it hit me. Skye... Sha's sister... Sha, the young man who I've mentioned before a few posts ago. Sha used to live with Shonda and he came to Bible study on Thursday nights. I called Brett to inform him of what was going on, but unfortunately I had to go to work. Rick called to say he and Brett were heading over to Oxford Manor. My heart hurt. The last place I wanted to be was at Sylvan. I wanted to be where I should have been earlier in the day. I wasn't at all focused on my students. Since it is Durham's Spring break this week, Sylvan had many no-shows. My boss was kind enough to let me give my students to someone else so that I could go to Oxford Manor and be with my friends. When I got there Brett and Rick were outside talking to Sha already. He seemed so stoic at first, still in shock I'm sure... still processing what had happened. I had nothing to say... no great words of wisdom... but I was there... He did at least smile when I showed up! :) Maybe all I was supposed to do was to be there, give him a big hug, and let him know what we are praying for him. Maybe I don't have to have words of wisdom... not yet anyway. He's not in a place to really hear them right now. It amazed me as I stood with Rick and watched Brett minister to Sha. He didn't say a whole lot... he just stood with him and let him talk. This is a very confusing time for Sha's family. This is a time when we especially need to be on our knees before God begging Him for His glory to shine through all of this. I plead with you, right now, pray for this family. Pray for healing. Pray that many will come to know Christ through this tragedy. Pray for wisdom for Brett, Rick, and I as we seek to serve this community in any way we can. Praise God for His sovereignty in this as well. It's no coincidence that Sha was part of our Bible study and that he is a friend of ours. Praise God that Shonda and Vondeara seem to see this as an opportunity for them to tell others about the Lord (they are growing so much!). Praise God that I am on Spring break with "no plans" and am completely free to be there for whoever needs me!
Psalm 33:20-22

20 Our soul waits for the Lord;
He is our help and our shield.

21 For our heart shall rejoice in Him,
Because we have trusted in His holy name.

22 Let Your unfailing love, O Lord, be upon us,
Just as we hope in You.



2 comments:

Amanda Sublett said...

I hope your second and third day were good too.....

I also hope you got my email about coming here Thursday morning around 10:30 - let me know if you can't come!!!

hugs to you!
Amanda

Angie said...

Praying!