Sunday, April 20, 2008

2 seconds under the bridge

Ok, for those of you who know me well, you know I love metaphors... so here goes...

I remember being a little kid in my parents' car, and not understanding how the rain somehow stopped for about 2 seconds while we drove under a bridge. Of course, it didn't take me too long to figure out that the rain wasn't really stopping, but we were just temporarily being sheltered from the battering rain drops. Tonight as I drove through the rain during a pretty heavy downfall, this image stuck with me. That's kind of how I felt today. Today I had the awesome privilege of spending the day with the Lechners, one of the families I worked/lived with in South Africa. They have been in Virginia at a conference for those who are home on stateside assignment for a few months. This was the closest they would be to me, so I made the trek this morning at about 6am! Seeing them was worth every minute in my car. I have missed them so much! One of the coolest things though, is that it didn't feel like I'd not seen them in almost 2 1/2 years. Of course the kids have grown, and all of our lives have dramatically changed (they've moved to another country!), but we've been able to keep in touch (hooray for blogs!). This morning I arrived early enough to attend the worship service with them. I was a bit apprehensive... usually when I get around a lot of missionaries, it makes me really sad that I'm not one of them! But today was totally different. When the speakers talked about missions and missionaries, I totally felt like it applied to me too. I may not be in another country, but I am 100% sure that God has placed me in Durham, NC to be a missionary here. Maybe someday He will call me back overseas, but for now, I am thrilled to be part of His plan here! Sometimes I have a tendency to get overwhelmed with my life in Durham. I sometimes try to do more than I am capable to doing (or at least doing well!). So today I took a break, I got away from Durham and away from the hustle and bustle of my busy, everyday life. Today was a breath of fresh air... 2 seconds under the bridge during a rainstorm.

And now... PICTURES! :)

Here's one of me with the family. The boys are both leaning down so that I don't feel short... they're both way taller than me now!



See how tall they are!?!



How funny is this? They had a family fun day inside (due to the rain). This is Charlie (on the left) and his son Luke racing to finish the blow up obstacle course! See why I love them? hehe :)




Angie and I... the first one was taken in August of 2005. We attempted a repeat... please note: this was after a long, rainy day! hehe :) We had a couple comments today about how we look related. Anyone agree??


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Definitely look like family . . .you could pass for sisters!