Sunday, January 29, 2006

Debriefing

Wow… what a week. Wednesday morning I left for debriefing at the MLC (missionary learning center). I know I’ve been home almost 3 months already, but it’s still amazingly refreshing to be around so many like-minded people. We have all been in the same place… maybe not literally, but emotionally and spiritually we have. It was so nice to be around people who didn’t just ask, “so how was Africa?” or “so are ya’ glad to be home!?” You have no idea how old those questions get… and how FAST they get old. I also realized that all the things I’m feeling are totally normal. Almost all of us have a hard time readjusting to life in America. We’ve all changed, and we all understand each other! (You have no idea how nice it is to really be understood!) I spent 5 days with over 60 people… all who have a heart for the nations… all who know what it means to have a calling on your life… many of whom don’t yet know what that means for them (like me!!). It was nice to not be pressured to have an answer for “so, what do you want to do with your life now?”… (Few of us really knew the answer to that.) I’m not all that excited to get back into “real life” again tomorrow morning, but it must come. Being a missionary means being with other people, not just missionaries! I wish I could really type out how awesome the past 5 days were, but unless you’ve been in my shoes, I can’t expect you to understand. Just know that God is awesome to have placed me into the care of such an amazing mission board who cares enough about us to gather us all back together to let us “debrief.” Sweet sweet times all around. :)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Glad it was a good weekend. I remember how important that debriefing weekend was after a 3-month summer missions experience. .. I can't imagine how much more important it is after 2 years.

It is nice to be around people that know what you're going through b/c they've been there.

Roger Saner said...

So, how was Africa?

Mwahahaaa! Good to see you're doing well :) Hope things are all good in Sunny America :) Update: Heath has moved to Pietermaritzburg to be the youthworker at Scottsville Baptist. The general consensus is that she'll last 6 months before getting fired (darn contemplative prayer). I'm still single but am applying to be the team photographer for Team Sweden: Bikini International.

Hope you're still watching your movie!